Sunday, December 4, 2011

I'm Just David

In the last several months, a few of David's friends have welcomed baby brothers and baby sisters into their family. Naturally, this has brought up the discussion about when David will get a baby brother or a baby sister. He remembers to ask Heavenly Father for this blessing in every prayer he says. And if either of his parents forget to pray for this blessing, he reminds us and we'll say a quick prayer to include our faith with David's to see this miracle through.

This has also given us occasion to talk to David about his birth. The fact that Heavenly Father sent him to our family. And he grew in AP's tummy before he came to our family. 

I want David to know the miracle of adoption in his life. I want him to know that he joined our family through adoption. I want him to know and love the people that surrounded his birth. I want David to feel comfortable talking about it and asking questions whenever he wants about this event in his life.

That's just what it is. Adoption was an event at his birth. It's not a label. It doesn't define who David is. And it most certainly doesn't designate who he will become.

The other day when I was working on our adoption website, and the subject had been on my mind for several days running, I asked David a question to see what frame of reference he has around adoption.

Me: David, are you adopted?
David: No. I'm just David.

That was the most perfect answer I've ever heard.
There's no "just" about it. He is our David, who lives life bigger than anyone I know.
He is David. No extra labels are really necessary. 
He knows who he is, and that's what is important to me.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

carmin,
love it...david's comment and the blog. knowing how you love books, i thought you'd like to hear about a book called Just David by Eleanor Porter (Pollyanna). It is beautiful and in a few years, David will love it too!!