Thursday, December 8, 2011

Book and Media Review--Do You Have a Little Love to Share

On occasion, my adoptive mother heart needs to be reminded of the big picture. Sometimes I need another self-pep-talk about how this process is about a child, and about our family. The paperwork and waiting is just a means to the end. It is not the end.

And music speaks to my soul.

So I turn on this CD--Do You Have a Little Love to Share? The Lyrics are by Joy Saunders Lundberg, who is an adoptive mother of five; the music is by Janice Kapp Perry, and the result is a rich spectrum of perspective and feelings about all the faces of adoption.


Hard questions are addressed in song such as "Do you love me as your own?" Another message portrays a birth mother who has empty arms, aching for the babe that now fills another set of once-empty arms. I love that one, because it reflects a birth mother's decision as one of wisdom, love and selflessness.

Some songs are written in jubilant celebration--a father doting on his baby girl, a mother enamored and filled with gratitude for her son, or the celebration of diversity among family members that share the same last name.

This collection of songs is one that I reserve for moments when I really want to connect with the adoption process. It's not all light-hearted music--some of the messages are more profound than fun. But I feel like it has been heaven-sent to me in those moments when I need a beacon of hope to make the next step a little brighter.

If you'd like to hear a sample of the songs, click here. I give it high recommendations for anyone involved in the adoption process.

No comments: